Monday, February 15, 2010

How Hurt is Too Hurt?


When it comes to deciding if one will play a sport, the inevitability of injury must be considered. A decision is made to risk injury for the sake of the game hoping and praying it will not happen, but knowing it is a very real possibility. The question comes when athletes have very little or no concern for their health and continue to play injured. At what point, if at all, should athletes be forced to quit playing? Athletes know their physical limits and are educated in the severity of injuries, but is there a point at which an athlete’s judgment becomes clouded by their shear intensity and passion for the game?

The photo I chose is of a European soccer player. He has suffered a head trauma and has had his head wrapped to stop the bleeding. In addition, the soccer player’s right wrist has suffered an injury and has been somewhat stabilized. Due to his expression and body language, I believe he is arguing with a referee or someone else. I also assume that he is currently playing and has not been benched due to his injuries.

My chosen photo argues my topic very well. It shows the severity of injury in sports and brings concerns to the health of the athlete. Some would argue that this athlete should be taken out of the game because of his injury, but others would say it is his decision to make and if does not want to come out, for whatever reason, he should have that say so.

The picture fits my topic perfectly. It shows an obvious head injury and gives way for an audience to contemplate my topic. As far as the pathos appeal, my photo excels. The expression of the athlete gives off specific ideas to the audience about his mood and the atmosphere. In addition, it shows multiple injuries, but does not explain how the injuries came to be. Therefore, the audience is allowed to be creative, opening the photo up for more debate.

Overall, my picture of the injured soccer player offers plenty of arguments. Specifically, it pertains to my topic of to what extent athletes with head injuries should be allowed to continue competing. The picture grasps the audience’s attention and exposes their emotion on my topic.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgyPiRp0BlUc9V64UQTFkRy1E55vSQm2eAYmoRNnzqE08w9ouBajHg52jJ83pfrEnZiN9Z1QjWtYAIyndRgUQ4dv1ZsV5QMG03QKdBPupqyq917qzXiZCGX8an3ADM8J70hHmvnnsvj4dY/s320/BloodyBattlers02_304x337.jpg&imgrefurl=http://soccer-xtreme.blogspot.com/2009/03/soccer-bloody.html&usg=__BwBHyobdbDu2AzyMtVrEE_xXP_4=&h=320&w=289&sz=24&hl=en&start=20&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=RhozzKFR8SMkpM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbloody%2Bsoccer%2Bplayers%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4ADFA_enUS361US362%26sa%3DN%26start%3D18%26um%3D1

2 comments:

  1. I like this topic because I too play a sport and suffered a concussions at some point in playoffs, missing the semi finals and losing the semi finals. Yes, I felt that I could play and the concussion was minor but the doctor didn't want to take any chances. In my opinion, the doctor has the last say in whether a player should stay on the field or not. Although this post was interesting and I know what your topic is about, I do not know the position you take in this situation. When do you feel an injury is too much and the player should come out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that you ask that, because I am very much on the fence still. Like you, I have suffered multiple concussions and plenty other injuries. I have had the doctor tell me to stop playing, a few times I listened, but there were those few times that I did not.
    I understand the risk involved, and some part of me thinks I should stop and do what the doctor says, but there is always a thought in the back of my head telling me to keep playing.
    I think that every athlete whether playing high school ball, or in the professionals should be throughly educated on head injuries, and every possible procaution should be taken. However, I am not sure whether the final decision should rest in the athlete's hands or not.

    ReplyDelete