Friday, February 12, 2010

Meat is Murder

A woman is lying on a styrofoam tray, she is covered in "blood" and wrapped in cellophane. There is a price sticker on this "package" labeling her body as flesh.

The woman's "bloody corpse" appears just like that of the animals' flesh many consume. Packages identical to this can be found in any supermarket's butcher shop. A warning on her price label details the amount of animals that suffer solely for human consumption and end up on shelves in our stores packaged this way.

The idea behind this photograph is that we should treat animals as we do humans because their flesh is no less important than ours. If one walked into a supermarket to find a packaged human body part in the butcher shop they would be disgusted. We wouldn't eat a human corpse even when packaged this way, however "flesh is flesh." Becoming a vegetarian means that you are one less person causing great suffering to animals.

This photograph shows a very gruesome truth. It evokes the guilt associated with eating animals regardless of the fact that there is another option-one that is now more easily accessible than ever. When one looks at this they feel sick, and they are forced to imagine being that meat.

4 comments:

  1. If this is the case, and animal flesh is just as important as human flesh- do you support the beliefs practiced by some of those in the middle east? They let Cows walk around in the streets while people die everyday because of poverty and lack of food. If animal and human life are equal (as you stated, "[animal] flesh is no less important than ours), then you must believe that letting those humans die is justified. (the case being the humans cannot find adequate means to acquire food)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to note that I prefer to stray from the radical protests done by PETA. However, as far as pathos goes, animal rights is the strongest emotional platform of the argument for vegetarianism. It just so happens that the photograph I chose was that of a radical protester. I never said that I agree with their antics, and I never specifically stated my beliefs. I simply brought up a point of view that differed from the norm, and I see nothing wrong with that.

    Just because one may believe that animal rights are important doesn't mean that they care any less about humans. I am a human, therefore I, like every other human, have a survivalist instinct. Were I faced with death, and the ONLY options available to me were to either eat an animal or die, I would eat that animal just like the next person. HOWEVER I am not in that position, and it is highly unlikely that I'll ever be. As for now, I have the option of killing innocent animals when there is an incredibly simple alternative, and I choose to go the less barbaric route.

    ReplyDelete